A joint venture of Power Machines OJSC and Toshiba Corporation – a High-Voltage Transformers Production – is put into pilot operation

Power Machines Toshiba High-Voltage Transformers, LLC – a plant located in Metallostroy industrial area (Kolpinsky District of Saint Petersburg) has been put into pilot operation. The plant is a joint venture of Power Machines OJSC and Toshiba Corporation (Japan).

The engagement to establish the joint venture between Power Machines and Toshiba Corporation was confirmed by signing of an agreement on September 20, 2011. Power Machines hold a 50.01% stake in the joint venture, and Toshiba Corporation holds the other 49.99% of the shares.

The construction of the high-voltage transformer plant was accomplished in record-breaking time – within just two years – with strict adherence to the construction schedule. The total amount of investments in construction of the plant is about 5.5 billion rubles. The technology level of the plant, which is fitted out with the most advanced high-technology equipment, fully complies with the world standards.

The product range comprises 110–750 kV power transformers and autotransformers, including three-phase ones, with capacities exceeding 25 MVA, and 500–750 kV shunt reactors.

A fully automated testing center will enable to carry out full-scale conventional and final acceptance tests of transformers having voltage class of up to 750 kV and higher.

The rated capacity of the plant is over 10,000 МVА per year. The estimated number of personnel will comprise a total of nearly 350 employees.

The specialists of the Toshiba Corporation carry out supervision over product quality assurance, adherence to the design engineering practice and manufacturing technology, and participate in the settlement of technical and production related issues.

The primary consumers of the joint venture products will be FGC UES OJSC and Russian Grids (Rosseti) JSC. The list of potential consumers also includes RusHydro OJSC and Rosatom (the Russian Federation national nuclear corporation), power generating companies and power grid operating companies of the CIS and Baltic countries.

The project of the joint venture establishment has been developed in collaboration with the Federal Grid Company, and has been aimed at setting up a facility to produce power transformers in Russia involving advanced foreign technologies. In the course of negotiations, Toshiba Corporation has been designated as the partner, being one of the global leaders by quality and reliability of the produced equipment and possessing long-term experience of scientific research and development in the sphere of power transformer engineering.

The partnership with Toshiba Corporation will enable Power Machines OJSC to extend its range of products and will help to increase the company’s competiveness as a provider of complex and comprehensive solutions for the power industry in the world market.

Toshiba Corporation is a world leader in pioneering high technology, a diversified manufacturer of advanced electronic and electrical products, Internet-based solutions and services, power, industrial, and social infrastructure systems, as well as household appliances.
Founded in 1875, Toshiba today employs 199,000 people worldwide. Its annual sales exceed USD 74 billion. The Transmission and Distribution Systems Division of Toshiba Corporation has over 20 representative offices in different countries. Toshiba started production of power transformers in 1894. Ever since Toshiba Corporation has been setting new achievements in the history of powerful high-voltage transformers and participating in the development of the global power transmission and distribution sector.